Upper Palatinate (Oberpfalz)
Upper Palatinate (German: Oberpfalz) is one of the seven
administrative regions of Bavaria, Germany, located in the east of
The region took its name first in the early 16th century, because it
was by the Treaty of Pavia one of the main portions of the territory
of the Wittelsbach Elector Palatine, who also ruled over the Lower
Palatinate in the Rhineland, now normally just called the
Palatinate, or Pfalz. The capital of the Upper Palatinate was Amberg.
Cadet branches of the Wittelsbach also ruled over smaller
territories in Neuburg and Sulzbach. As a result of the Elector
Palatine Frederick V's abortive claim to the Bohemian throne in
1619–1620, the Upper Palatinate, along with the rest of his lands,
were declared forfeit to the Emperor and, along with the Electoral
title, given to the Duke of Bavaria. Although the Lower Palatinate
was restored to Frederick's son by the Peace of Westphalia in 1648,
the Upper Palatinate remained under the Elector of Bavaria, and has
remained a part of Bavaria ever since. The smaller territories of
Sulzbach and Neuburg came to Bavaria in 1742, while the city of
Regensburg, an Imperial Free City, was not joined with the rest of
the region until the end of the Holy Roman Empire in 1806.
Weiden in der Oberpfalz
Bad Kötzting (before 2005: Kötzting) is a town in the
district of Cham, in Bavaria, Germany, near the Czech border. It is
situated in the Bavarian Forest, 15 km (9 miles) southeast of Cham.
has the charming character of a small town and offers quite a
variety of attractions for tourists. The locals pride themselves
with having one of the largest mounted religious processions in the
world, the "Kötztinger Pfingstritt". Legend has it that in the year
1412, a man who got injured during forestry was asking for the last
rites before dying in a village approximately 7 km away from
Kötzting. The local priest was unable to comply with the wishes of
the man because he needed protection from bears, wolves, and other
dangers luring along the way. After asking the young men of the
village to protect him, they accompanied the priest to the dying
man. After a safe journey, the participants vowed to repeat the ride
every year. That is how it remained ever since. Every Whit Monday,
the ride of over 900 horses and riders is repeated. The horses wear
ornaments and the riders wear traditional Bavarian clothes. The ride
starts in Kötzting and goes to the village "Steinbühl", where
according to the legend, the man asking for anointment, was dying.
Only men from the region are allowed to participate in the
procession, the participating horses, however, come from all over
Bavaria. The annual fair is also in town when the procession takes
place. A local "Bierzelt" and numerous rides invite the public.
is a town in the district of Neumarkt in Bavaria, Germany.
Historic altstadt tower converted into an apartment buildingBerching
is a historical town with a fully preserved town wall and low
streamlet. The first settlement was registered in 883, so that it is
more than 1100 years old. Berching is located in the district of
Neumarkt in Bavaria, Germany. It is situated on the
Rhine-Main-Danube Canal, 20 km south of Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz.
The old city or altstadt is surrounded by a large wall interspaced
with towers. One of the towers has been converted into a 6-story
apartment. A small inn called the Blaue Traube is also located in
the city center.
is a city in Bavaria, Germany, located at the confluence of the
Danube and Regen rivers, at the northernmost bend in the Danube. To
the east lies the Bavarian Forest. Regensburg is the capital of the
Bavarian administrative region Upper Palatinate. The large medieval
center of the city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Unlike most other major German cities, Regensburg had little damage
from the Strategic bombing during World War II and the nearly intact
medieval city center is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The
most important cultural loss was the Romanesque church of
Obermünster, which was destroyed in a March 1945 air raid and never
rebuilt (the belfry survived). Also Regensburg's slow economic
recovery after the war ensured that historic buildings were not torn
down to be replaced by newer buildings. When the upswing came to
Regensburg in the late 1960s, the mindset had turned in favor of
preserving the heritage.
(Cathedral) is a very interesting example of pure German Gothic and
counts as the main work of Gothic architecture in Bavaria. It was
founded in 1275 and completed in 1634, with the exception of the
towers, which were finished in 1869. The interior contains numerous
interesting monuments, including one of Peter Vischer's
masterpieces. Adjoining the cloisters are two chapels of earlier
date than the cathedral itself, one of which, known as the old
cathedral, goes back perhaps to the 8th century. The official choir
for the liturgical music at St Peter's Cathedral are the famous
A first bishop's church was built around 700, at the site of the
present-day cathedral parish church Niedermünster (St. Erhard's
tomb). Around 739, St. Boniface chose the area of the Porta
Praetoria (North Gate of the old Roman fort) for the bishop's seat,
and the site of the cathedral has remained there since. The
Cathedral was rebuilt in Carolingian times and expanded in the early
11th century , with an approximately 15-meter-wide transept, two
towers and an atrium.
In 1156-1172 the edifice burnt twice, and was also rebuilt starting
from 1273 in High Gothic style. The three choirs of the new
cathedral were ready for use in 1320, while the old cathedral was
demolished at the same time. In 1385-1415 the elaborate main
entrance to the west was completed, with the most of the new edifice
being finished around 1520; the cloister was constructed in
The cupola at the transept crossing and other sectors were renovated
in Baroque style in the 17th century. In 1828-1841 the cathedral
underwent a neo/Gothic restoration commissioned by King Ludwig I of
Bavaria. The Baroque frescoes were relocated and the cupola
demolished, being replaced by a quadripartite rib vault. The towers
and their spires were built in 1859-1869. Three years later the
cathedral was finally finished, with the completion of the transept
gable and the spire (at the crossing), after some 600 years of
The state-run Dombauhütte (Cathedral building workshop) was founded
in 1923, for the ongoing oversight, maintenance, and restoration of
the cathedral. In the 1980s construction of the crypt mausoleum and
archeological exploration of the center nave (partial exposure of a
former southern arcade entrance to the atrium of a precursor Roman
structure) were carried on. The cathedral was restored during the
of the Romanesque basilica style are the church of Obermünster,
dating from 1010, and the abbey church of St. Emmeram,
built in the 13th century, remarkable as one of the few German
churches with a detached bell tower. The beautiful cloisters of the
ancient abbey, one of the oldest in Germany, are still in fair
preservation. In 1809 the conventual buildings were converted into a
palace for the prince of Thurn and Taxis, hereditary
postmaster-general of the Holy Roman Empire.
there are two very imposing Classical buildings, erected by Ludwig I
of Bavaria as national monuments of German patriotism and greatness.
The more imposing of the two is the Walhalla, a costly
reproduction of the Parthenon, erected as a Teutonic temple of fame
on a hill rising from the Danube at Donaustauf, 15 km to the east.
The interior, which is as rich as coloured marble, gilding, and
sculptures can make it, contains the busts of more than a hundred
German worthies. The second of King Ludwig's buildings is the
Befreiungshalle at Kelheim, 30 km above Regensburg, a large circular
building which has for its aim the glorification of the heroes of
the 1813 War of Liberation.
is a town in the district of Tirschenreuth bordering the Czech
Republic in the Upper Palatinate, Bavaria.
Waldsassen Abbey is a Cistercian nunnery, formerly a Cistercian
monastery The monastery, the first Cistercian foundation in Bavaria,
was founded by Gerwich of Wolmundstein, a Benedictine monk of
Sigeberg Abbey, with the permission of his former abbot Kuno, then
Bishop of Regensburg, and built between 1128 and 1132. The original
community was sent to Waldsassen from Volkenroda Abbey in Thuringia,
of the line of Morimond Abbey. The first abbot was elected in 1133.
In 1863, the remains of the old abbey were bought by the Cistercian
nuns of Seligenthal, who in the following year took possession,
established monastic enclosure, and opened an institute for the
education of girls. At first a priory, the nunnery was raised to the
status of an abbey in 1925.
The church was declared a basilica minor in 1969.
is a town in Bavaria, Germany. It is located in the Upper Palatinate
(German: Oberpfalz), roughly halfway between Regensburg and
Bayreuth. Population: 44,756 (2008).
The town was first mentioned in 1034, at that time under the name
Ammenberg. It became an important trading centre in the Middle Ages,
exporting mainly iron ore and iron products. In 1269, together with
Bamberg, the town became subordinate to the Wittelsbach dynasty that
In 1329 the town and the entire Upper Palatinate fell to a branch
line of the Wittelsbach family and was no longer part of the duchy
of Bavaria. Although in geographic terms it was regarded as Bavarian
and the region was part of the Bavarian circle in the organization
of the Imperial Circles. The rulers of Upper Palatinate were
open-minded towards Protestantism. In the 16th century the town
turned to Lutheranism, but attempts of the ruling family to
introduce the more radical Calvinism failed due to the reluctance of
(Germ. Marktplatz), which contains the Gothic town hall (built in
1358) and the late-Gothic Parish Church of St. Martin
In 1628 Amberg and Upper Palatinate became part of the electorate of
Bavaria. The inhabitants were given the choice: return to
Catholicism or leave the town forever. Many families left the town
and fled to the Free Imperial Cities of Regensburg and Nuremberg.
After the Second World War, when Bavaria fell into the American
Sector, Amberg was home to Pond Barracks, a United States Army post.
The post was closed in 1992 and the facility turned over to the
local community for housing, most of it for social housing.
defining feature of the town is the Stadtbrille (literally "town
spectacles") – a bridge, originally a part of the town
fortifications, whose arches reflected on the river waters resemble
a pair of glasses.
One of the most famous and beautiful landmarks of Amberg is the
”town spectacles” - a water gate construction spanning the Vils
River, which formerly served to fortify the town and to connect the
new castle to the armoury (”Zeughaus”). Next to it, the town wall
encircling the ancient centre with a double fortification, its
towers and gates, the Gothic town hall with its renaissance wing,
mighty churches and many other historical buildings are
characteristic of the unique image of the town.